This Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) applies to MyRepublic’s services as if it formed part of the General Terms and Conditions. This AUP may be amended by us from time to time and any such modification or amendment will be posted on our Web site and become automatically effective upon you as from the date of posting. It is your responsibility to be aware of such changes, which will take effect when posted on our Website. All references to “we”, “us” and “our”, are to MyRepublic.
Background & Overview
As a telecommunication services provider, we are subject to regulatory requirements and codes of practice which protect the community at large by upholding contemporary social standards and protecting the overall national Internet infrastructure. At MyRepublic we recognize and appreciate the importance of these requirements, and strive to maintain a high standard of ethical and professional conduct.
Our Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is intended to:
- provide information to our customers on their legal obligations and liabilities in making use of MyRepublic services;
- provide information to our customers on the legal obligations of MyRepublic as a licensed telecommunication services provider, to ensure that our customers adhere to their legal obligations;
- explain the remedial measures that may be taken by us against any defaulting customers;
- provide a description of practices by our customers which are considered abusive and therefore are prohibited; and
- explain the limits of liability of MyRepublic.
Your Responsible & Acceptable Use of our Services
Please respect the laws and rights of others. You must, at all times, make sure that the way you use the MyRepublic service does not break the law or the rights of any other person. When using MyRepublic services or accessing our Website, you must not:
- use our Internet services to inconvenience other users of the Internet, or for unlawful or illegal purposes;
- ensure that your Internet connection isn’t used to abuse other people using the Internet or to purposefully receive or distribute unsuitable material, like spam or viruses, or to excessively use our network in busy times in a way which has a detrimental impact on other users of our services;
- commit or encourage a criminal offence;
- deliberately receive, use, own, post, transmit or publish communication that is offensive, abusive, defamatory, obscene, menacing or illegal;
- do anything which is contrary to the acceptable use policies or standards of any connected network;
- insert or knowingly or recklessly transmit or distribute a virus;
- seek unauthorised entry into the MyRepublic back office or operations platform;
- hack into any aspect of the MyRepublic service;
- corrupt data;
- circumvent, or attempt to seek to circumvent, any of the security safeguards of MyRepublic or any of its third party providers;
- cause annoyance, nuisance, or break the rights of, any other person;
- break, or try to break, the security of anyone else’s equipment, hardware or software;
- use your MyRepublic connection to harm the service of another Internet user or impersonate another user, whether on our network or external to our network;
- send email or any other type of electronic message with the intention or result of affecting the performance or functionality of any computer facilities;
- use the MyRepublic service in a way that (i) risks degradation of service levels to other customers, (ii) puts our system at risk and/or (iii) is not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a customer in the circumstances;
- hold MyRepublic or any of its third party providers or contractors liable in relation to the accuracy, reliability, availability and performance of resources accessed through the Internet which, you acknowledge, are beyond their control and are not in any way warranted or supported by MyRepublic or its third party providers or contractors;
- use the MyRepublic service in any way which, in MyRepublic’s opinion, is, or is likely to be, detrimental to the provision of the service to any other MyRepublic customer. This includes, but is not limited to, running any application or program that places excessive bandwidth demands on the service for continued periods;
- perform any activity which does not comply with applicable laws in New Zealand; or
- permit any third party to do any of the above.
Consequences to Defaulting Users of Unacceptable Use
Non-Compliance Risks Termination of Service. By using our services, you agree to comply with all parts of this AUP, and we may terminate your account if you fail to comply with any of these rules. If we believe that you are using our services in any of the ways prohibited by this AUP, we are entitled to reduce, suspend, restrict certain types of traffic on your MyRepublic service, and/or terminate any or all of your MyRepublic services without giving you notice.
Non-Compliance May Also Result in a Formal Warning. Notwithstanding our right to immediately reduce, suspend, limit the speed and/or terminate your MyRepublic services and/or restrict certain types of traffic on your service, if you abuse the MyRepublic services and/or breach this AUP, you may receive a formal warning from us specifying the unacceptable conduct and notifying you that repeated breaches may result in your service being temporarily or permanently withdrawn from you.
If you encounter an incidence of ‘abuse’ on the MyRepublic network, please notify us using the email address email@example.com We will investigate it and take appropriate action as soon as possible.